Charles Christopher “Carl” RiordonAge: 82 years1876–1958
- Charles Christopher “Carl” Riordon
- Given names
- Charles Christopher
|Birth|| June 3, 1876 28 24|
|Birth of a sister||Kathleen Riordon|
1878 (Age 18 months)
|Death of a paternal grandmother||Amelia Eames|
May 30, 1880 (Age 3 years)
Cause: Heart Disease
|Birth of a sister||Elsie Riordon|
July 27, 1882 (Age 6 years)
|Death of a maternal grandfather||James Edwin ELLIS|
1883 (Age 6 years)
|Religious marriage||Amy Louise Paterson — View this family|
June 23, 1900 (Age 24 years)
| Birth of a son|
|Charles Harold “Hal” Riordon|
April 13, 1901 (Age 24 years)
| Birth of a daughter|
|Edith Amy “Kit” Riordon|
1904 (Age 27 years)
| Birth of a son|
|John Eric Benson Riordon|
1906 (Age 29 years)
| Birth of a daughter|
|Mary Kathleen Riordon|
October 7, 1911 (Age 35 years)
| Birth of a son|
|Peter Hamilton Riordon|
April 13, 1913 (Age 36 years)
|Marriage of a child||Harold Othneil Bennett — Edith Amy “Kit” Riordon — View this family|
February 14, 1930 (Age 53 years)
|Death of a mother||Edith Susan Ellis|
May 1930 (Age 53 years)
|Death of a father||Charles Albert Riordon|
August 17, 1931 (Age 55 years)
|Death of a son||John Eric Benson Riordon|
December 23, 1948 (Age 72 years)
|Death of a sister||Elsie Riordon|
August 28, 1952 (Age 76 years)
|Commission to Inquire||yes|
|Death|| June 14, 1958 (Age 82 years)|
|Address||374 Côte des Neiges Road, Montreal, Quebecyes|
|Family with parents|
Charles Albert Riordon
Birth: November 28, 1847 61 — County Kerry, Ireland
Death: August 17, 1931 — Montreal, QC., Canada
Edith Susan Ellis
Death: May 1930 — Montreal, QC., Canada
Marriage: January 17, 1873 — Toronto, ON.
19 monthselder sister
Edith Amelia “Amy” Riordon
Birth: August 12, 1874 26 22
Death: September 14, 1959
3 yearsyounger sister
Birth: 1878 30 26 — St. Catherines, ON., Canada
5 yearsyounger sister
Birth: July 27, 1882 34 30 — St. Catherines, Ont.
Death: August 28, 1952 — London, England
|Family with Amy Louise Paterson|
Amy Louise Paterson
Birth: August 4, 1876 31
Marriage: June 23, 1900 — St. Thomas's Church St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada
Charles Harold “Hal” Riordon
Birth: April 13, 1901 24 24 — St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada
Death: April 11, 1980 — Cowansville, Quebec, Canada
Edith Amy “Kit” Riordon
Birth: 1904 27 27
Death: about 1988
John Eric Benson Riordon
Birth: 1906 29 29
Death: December 23, 1948
Mary Kathleen Riordon
Birth: October 7, 1911 35 35
Death: July 5, 1997
Peter Hamilton Riordon
Birth: April 13, 1913 36 36 — Montreal, QC., Canada
Death: 1988 — Foster, QC., Canada
by the REV. T.W. PATERSON, uncle of the bride, assisted by the Bishop of Niagara and the rector, Rev. N.I.Perry. Witnesses: Lillian PATERSON, St Catharines & J.B. BUNTING (10382-00 (Lincoln Co)
From the pages of the Montreal Daily Star: RIORDON-PATERSON - On June 23, 1900 in St. Thomas's Church, St. Catherines, Ont., by the REV. T.W. PATERSON, uncle of the bride, assisted by the Bishop of Niagara and the rector, Rev. N.I. Perry, Charles Christopher RIORDON to Amy Louise, daughter of the late Rev. C.W. PATERSON, and granddaughter of the late Hon. J.R. BENSON, of St. Catherines.
Interesting article at: http://www.temiscaming.net/langues/fr/chapitre2.pdf English follows after the French text
IN TRIBUTE THE RIORDON PAPERMAKERS John Riordon 1833 - 1884
Charles Riordon 1848 - 1931
Carl Riordon 1876 - 1958
WITH THE DEATH in Montreal on June 14, 1958 of Charles Christopher (Carl) Riordon there came to an end an epoch which is without parallel in the pulp and paper industry of Canada.
This began with the operation of a wrapping paper mill, established in 1863 by John Riordon on the Welland Canal near St. Catharines, Ontario. John Riordon, then thirty years of age, sent for his younger brother Charles, then aged fifteen, to come and help him; a year later Charles was put in charge of the mill. When Charles was eighteen years of age he went alone to England and bought machinery for a new mill, and on the Christmas Day following, the machine began to turn out newsprint made of rags and straw at the rate of 25 tons a month. The Riordons turned to the making of groundwood pulp for newsprint in 1873. In 1886 the Canadian Sulphite Company, of which Charles Riordon was president, obtained letters patent to the Ritter-Kellner liner process, and the manufacture of sulphite pulp was begun at Cornwall in 1888 This was followed by the purchase by the Riordons of digesters in 1888 and the beginning of manufacture of sulphite pulp at Merritton in December 1890. In 1895 Charles Riordon ordered two new digesters from Cleveland and towed them across Lake Erie and down the Canal to the Merritton mill. In 1898 Mr. Riordon built the Hawkesbury mill, fed by wood from the Rouge River, and with an output of 75 tons a day. In 1896 Charles Christopher (Carl ) Riordon, son of Charles. joined the firm and was made managing director in 1905. In 1909 the Riordon interests took over the Rouge River limits of the C. H. Perley Company of Ottawa and in 1912 two more digesters were installed at the Hawkesbury mill, increasing its capacity to 135 tons a day. In 1917 the Riordon company purchased the Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Company of Ticonderoga, N.Y. and, in 1918-19, built a large bleached sulphite mill at Temiskaming, Quebec under the name of the Kipawa Fibre Company. In 1920 the Kipawa subsidiary was absorbed into Riordon Company Limited along with the properties of The Riordon Pulp and Paper Company Limited, and in this same year the Riordon interests bought out the huge properties of W. C. Edwards and Company Limited and Gilmour and Hughson Company Limited in the Gatineau Valley.
The Riordon enterprises which had thus begun as a modest wrapping paper mill in St. Catharines carried through advancing stages of chemical pulp manufacture and embraced a small empire of potential development. This, however, was not to be realized, at least under the name of Riordon. The fever of market expansion which raged in 1919-1920, gave way almost overnight to the chill of the "buyers' strike” in early 1921, and the Riordon enterprise was caught with large inventories of high-cost supplies, heavy bond interest charges, ground rents and capital payments to be made on those great natural resources which could not be quickly converted into production, or, even if transformed, could not be sold in the depressed state of the lumber and pulp markets The mills were closed down and many unsuccessful attempts were made in Canada to salvage the enterprise. However, hindsight has made it clear that nearly a decade of time and tens of millions of dollars were required to set the enterprise fully in motion again. After painful operational beginnings and the sale of the assets to the Bondholders' Protective Committees, and they in turn to Canadian International Paper Company and the gradual settlement of claims of secured creditors (but nothing for unsecured creditors or shareholders), the great Gatineau properties were swung into productivity in the late twenties with the erection of the large modern newsprint mill of Canadian International Paper Company at Gatineau, Quebec on the Ottawa River below the City of Ottawa and with the development by Gatineau Power Company of Gatineau River waterpowers at Chelsea and Paugan.
The motivation of the Riordons in overcoming the tremendous difficulties of the early development in the paper and pulp industry in Canada is perhaps explained by the reply ascribed to Sir Edmund Hillary when asked why he would set out to conquer Everest - “Because it is there.”
Charles Riordon - Pioneer Charles Riordon 1848-1931 was a real pioneer, a man of quiet assurance, resourcefulness, enterprise, and courage. While in his twenties and thirties he mastered the technical processes involved in the fledgling sulphite pulp industry and became the outstanding figure in it. He improved upon the efforts of Sir John A. Macdonald in the newspaper field, in that he acquired the "Mail" and later took over Sir Johns "Empire" to make of the "Mail and Empire" one of the major journalistic enterprises of Canada; he was instrumental in building the Temiscouata Railway from Rivière du Loup, Quebec, to Edmundston, New Brunswick, and part of the Intercolonial Railway in New Brunswick; he was an early director, and later president, of the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge Company; and was active in the foundation of Ridley College in St. Catharines. This last-mentioned activity sprang from Mr. Riordon’s love of learning. Although his early years had been devoted to manufacturing rather than to higher education, he was an omnivorous reader and student, particularly of philosophy and the classics. The library he accumulated in his home in St. Catharines contained the “great books" of English literature, and what he properly called his "recreation" consisted largely in reading these at whatever hour of the day he returned from his heavy pioneer labours at nearby Merritton. He had the habit of keeping various books open in different parts of the house, and would get in much of his reading ”on the fly". One time, in giving to a young friend his fine old copy of Pope's translation of Homer’s Iliad, he pressed the gift upon the reluctant recipient with the encouragement, "Yes, you take it; I have no need of it: I have already read it three or tour times.”
There are many stories told of his practical abilities as mill manager, such as repairing with splints and bolts a broken major drive wheel; of acting as steeplejack when the proper expert was afraid: of how, when the water level in the Ottawa River fell below the required level he kept the Hawkesbury mill in operation through the emergency construction of a paddle wheel to push the water “up hill”.
For such most “practical” matters, through the realms of industry and public affairs, Charles Riordon achieved success in virtually everything he touched. Through his ownership and general direction of the “Mail and Empire” the acknowledged organ of the Federal Conservative Party he was held in highest respect and esteem on Parliament Hill. But his quiet, unobtrusive, almost shy personality caused him to avoid the limelight. Indeed, to the considerable chagrin of Sir Robert Borden, who had put his name forward on two occasions, Charles Riordon firmly refused to accept a knighthood.
Carl Riordon Philosopher and Man of Action Carl Riordon. whose death is mourned in these days, was possessed of great drive, both physical and mental, and this expressed itself both in organizational work and in the outdoors.
After graduation from the University of Toronto in 1896, he went to Queen's University for a course in engineering, and then spent a year as a surveyor in Central British Columbia. He returned to St. Catharines and worked in the paper mills, remaining in the industry to become president of The Riordon Pulp and Paper Company, Limited.
With the outstanding position of the Riordon family in the pulp and paper industry, it was only natural that, when there was a move to form an association of manufacturers, Carl Riordon should be selected as the first president of the Canadian Pulp and Paper Association.This occurred on March 18, 1913. Under his initiative in 1914 the statistics of production, which constitute a considerable portion of the Association’s activities today, were begun, and in 1915 a major meeting of the association was held in Ottawa which gave a real impetus to association development. In 1915 under his guidance and with the aid of Dr. John S. Bates and Roy Campbell the Technical Section of the Association was formed.
Carl Riordon was a director of the Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, Niagara Lower Arch Bridge Company, and Mail Printing Company, Toronto; and was a member of the advisory board of the National Trust Company, Limited. He was a governor of Ridley College, a one-time president of the Khaki League, Montreal, and a captain in the 19th St. Catharines Regiment from 1896 to 1904. He belonged to the University Club, Montreal, the Toronto Club, and the Rideau Club, Ottawa. He is survived by his wife, the former Amy Louise Paterson; two sons, Harold, Dunham, and Peter, Thetford Mines, Quebec; two daughters, Edith (Mrs. Bennett) and Mary (Mrs. G. R. Forbes), both of Montreal; two sisters, Edith Amy (Mrs. S. B. Pemberton), Montreal, and Kathleen (Mrs. G. W. Crompton), London, England, and 12 grandchildren.
The independent spirit and resourcefulness that characterized Charles Riordon descended to Carl Riordon, but the duality of the man of action and enterprise and the man of studious and philosophic bent evidenced itself in slightly different form. In Carl, a larger physical frame and greater strength became the vehicle for the expression of a love of the outdoors, for the carrying out of major physical achievements. The life of the surveyor and prospector, pressing through the rugged interior of British Columbia exactly suited his urge to contend with the rough forces of nature, and to do so alone was no deterrent. So it was that when later the acquisition by the Riordon interests of the Perley properties and timber limits opened the door to obtaining a lease of the fishing rights on Lac Caché, north of Lac Tremblant (not too easy of access at the turn of the century), Carl Riordon quickly availed himself of the opportunity and, in addition, bought an island in the lake, since known as Riordon Island, and threw himself into that which was most pleasurable to him, namely, the actual manual work of revising shore lines, building wharves, floats and camps, and generally wrestling with the physical world. Coupled with this, and a source of perhaps even greater happiness, were the delights of the canoe. Carl paddled, portaged and camped all over the region in the Upper Rouge, Lievre and regions east and west, and followed with interest the ancient water routes and carrying places of the Algonquins, Hurons and Iroquois in their incessant warfare. If there were one photograph characteristic of Carl Riordon it would be in woods clothes in a canoe, indifferent to sun, rain and insect pests, as he conquered distance in the waterways of Quebec. He was similarly at home on snowshoes or skis.
The office saw a minimum of him from mid-June to mid-September; he would be at “Caché”, delighted to see his intimates if they would visit him, but in the course of the day they too could expect to see a minimum of him unless they were minded to join him in moving boulders, hewing logs or cutting trail. In the evening, however, came the period of speculative discussion as the shadows lengthened and the loon made his plaintive call across the waters of the lake.
The same love of Indian lore and of Canadian history attracted him to acquire the large house which stood to the west of the ancient 'pass' between Montreal and Westmount mountains (known from earlier Colonial days as le chemin de la Côte des Neiges) which was within the site of what was the camp or lookout of General Amherst. Mr. Riordon called his home 'Amherst' in recognition of this fact. 'Capitulation Cottage', where the surrender of Canada to the English was signed on September 8th, 1760 was within a stone's throw of 'Amherst' and Mr. Riordon made energetic personal efforts to prevent the destruction of the historic building, but unfortunately it perished through carelessness or misunderstanding on the part of workmen constructing the Côte des Neiges Reservoir.
Carl Riordon's strong sense of history, caused him, in common with the late Professor Leacock, to hold in great affection the University Club, located as it is on the site of Hochelaga as discovered by Cartier in 1535. (“Stevie”, as Leacock was familiarly called, used to refer to it as the “birthplace” or the “centre” of Canada). Carl was a life member the the Club, and for over twenty years was perhaps its most consistent habitué. His use of the Club was somewhat in the style attributed to the English club member me - courteous and warm enough towards his fellows, and a delight as a luncheon companion, but nevertheless somewhat shy and diffident, and mostly devoting himself to the reviews. Anyone engaging him in conversation, however, would find a companion not only well-informed on almost any topic, but, moreover, one ready to question and explore, bringing out new and engaging aspects of whatever was under discussion.
When in Montreal his love of physical exertion and of Nature caused him to walk, every morning that was compatible with the wearing of city clothes, from "Amherst," along the road on Montreal Mountain paralleling Cedar Avenue, then down Peel or McTavish to his office in Beaver Hall Square. His brown satchel came along, sometimes for its normal utility, but usually "to give me a little more exercise."
In 1921-22, when it became apparent that the great program of uniting the natural resources of the Rouge, the Upper Ottawa and the Gatineau (which has since actually come to pass in the enterprise of Canadian International Paper Company and Gatineau Power Company) was premature, he simply retired from the industrial scene. He continued to act in fiduciary affairs, as a director of the Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada and as a member of the Montreal Advisory Committee of the National Trust Company. He also continued on the boards of the Niagara Lower Arch Bridge and of Ridley College, both early enthusiasms of his father.
His simple withdrawal from the business scene was a matter of surprise to many who had known him as an industrialist, with his soundly-inherited courage, his intellectual powers and his drive. But they did not take into account the directness, the utterly straight line thinking which he applied to himself. Just as without any emotion he would conclude that a certain timber was too short for a certain purpose, or that a certain great rock was patently too great for him to lift, so he concluded that, under economic conditions existing in early 1921, he had reached the limit of his usefulness as an executive and that others should carry the load. So he simply stood aside.
It is not given to many men to produce, let alone commit to paper, solid thinking upon abstract matters. In the realm of "meditations" there come to mind, of course, such names as Marcus Aurelius, La Rouchefoucauld, Lamartine, Henri-Frederic Amiel. With the last-mentioned there is a peculiar association, became not only was the Journal Intime of the Geneva professor one of the treasures of the Riordon library, but there runs a curious parallel in the characteristics of Carl Riordon, who, like Amiel was in a sense a very solitary man, never forcing himself upon the company of others, but ever a delightful companion when companionship was offered, and generously reciprocated. It could be said of Carl Riordon as one of Amiel's contemporaries said of him: "In serious discussion he was master of the unexpected, and his energy, his entrain affected us all. How often did he not give us cause to admire the variety of his knowledge, the precision of his ideas, the charm of his quick intelligence! We found him always, besides, kindly and amiable, a nature one might trust and lean upon with perfect! security."
Carl Riordon, like Amiel was one who thought deeply, and put his conclusions on record. It is doubtful whether he ever seriously intended that these should be widely published. However, when after he had reached the view that his function as an industrialist had come to an end, he crystallized his ideas and his own position among his fellows by the imaginary creation of a group in society which he called “We Questers". With the intellectual honesty which was characteristic of him, he fulfilled, to the best of his ability, the role he had assigned himself, never entering into the area of advice or decisions, but remaining in that of 'findings' or experience which the "Questers" would make available to the executives.
Carl Riordon was, for all we know, following the conclusions reached by Henri-Frederic Amiel: "Let the living live -, and you, gather together your thoughts, leave behind you a legacy of feeling and ideas; you will be most useful so."
The world may, or may not, agree with Carl Riordon’s "Credo", but there can be no doubt that for their contributions to the pulp and paper industry John, Charles, and Carl Riordon will ever occupy a place of honour in the industrial history of Canada.
From Time Magazine, Monday, August 27, 1928
At the head of International Paper is 43-year-old Archibald Robertson Graustein, Harvard graduate, onetime Boston lawyer. Lawyer Graustein rose to sudden fame by so guiding the affairs of the insolvent Riordon Co. (Canadian pulp concern) that bondholders emerged after four years without loss. This extraordinary achievement took him to International Paper in 1924 as president. One of his first acts was to buy the Riordon Co., merge it with International Paper. His directorships, besides New England Power, include the Corn Exchange Bank, Missouri Pacific Railroad, American Surety Co., Manville Jenckes Co.
CHRONIQUE: ECURIE DE LA RIORDON
Ecurie de la Riordon L’Annonciation Les entreprises forestières En 1898, James Kewley Ward, industriel de Westmount et propriétaire d’un chantier à la Macaza cède ses droits de coupe à la Riordon Pulp and Paper Company Limited. Le 16 octobre 1912, la G.H. Perley qui possédait 623 miles de forêt (1613 km2) concède a cette dernière ses droits sur les limites de la rivière Rouge. Finalement en 1918, la Riordon Pulp and Paper Compny Limited acquiert la Church and Fee de Labelle. Elle domine alors l’exploitation forestière de la Rouge. En 1921, elle prend le nom de Riordon Compagny Ltd. Entre 1915 et 1925, la production dépasse la demande et une guerre de prix force le regroupement de certaines compagnies tandis que d’autres disparaissent. La Canadian International Paper Company profite de cette situation instable pour acquérir l’immense domaine de la Riordon Company Ltd, en 1922. L’écurie Lors de l’achat de la G.H. Perley par la Riordon Company Ltd, celle-ci choisit de fermer le moulin à scie, l’écurie et les résidences des employés que possédait la défunte compagnie et de reconstruire une écurie près de la voie d’évitement de la station de l’Annonciation afin de faciliter le transport des marchandises. Grand bâtiment à deux étages, l’écurie est entièrement reconstruite en planche d’Epinette. Elle mesure environ 33,5 m x 12 m. Le rez-de-chaussée abritait les chevaux utilisés par la compagnie, entre autre pour le transport des marchandises sur le site des différents chantiers. L’étage supérieur servait à entreposer le foin, l’avoine et la paille pour les chevaux et les denrées alimentaires comme les fèves, pois, mélasse, lard salé et la farine. Les marchandises étaient transportées de la voie d’évitement du Canadien Pacifique directement à l’étage supérieur de l’écurie. En 1957, la Canadian International Paper n’a plus besoin de l’écurie et la vend à un citoyen de l’Annonciation qui l’utilise depuis pour l’entreposage de matériaux divers.
The town was established in 1917 by the Riordon Pulp and Paper Company who built the Kipawa Mills pulp and paper mill there. Designed according to a Garden City plan by Scottish architect Thomas Adams(1871-1940), the town was originally named Kipawa in 1920 but was renamed the following year. The town and mill were bought by the Canadian International Paper Company in 1925. In 1972, when the company decided to close the mill, the employees formed Tembec to take over the operation of the mill.
|Commission to Inquire|
Commission to Inquire into and Report Upon Industrial Relations in Canada
Administrative history The Commission to Inquire into and Report Upon Industrial Relations in Canada was established under Order in Council P.C. 670, 4 April 1919, on the recommendation of the Minister of Labour. No indication of the authorizing statute is given in the Order in Council. The Commission was mandated to inquire into and report to the government on the following matters, namely: (1) To consider and make suggestions for securing a permanent improvement in the relations between employers and employees. (2) To recommend means for ensuring that industrial conditions affecting relations between employers and employees shall be reviewed from time to time by those concerned, with a view to improving conditions in the future. For the above purposes the commission was to: (1) Make a survey and classification of existing Canadian industries; (2) Obtain information as to the character and extent of organization already existing among bodies of employers and employees respectively; (3) Investigate available data as to the progress made by established joint industrial councils in Canada, Great Britain and the United States. The commissioners were Thomas Graham Mathers, Chairman; Smeaton White, Charles Harrison, Frank Pauzé, Thomas Moore, John W. Bruce, and Carl Riordon (Order in Council, P.C. 784, 9 April 1919). The secretary was Thomas Bengough.
Canada was faced with a period of severe labour unrest immediately following the Great War. On 22 March 1919, a labour sub-committee, of the Reconstruction and Development Committee of the federal Cabinet, recommended that the Government of Canada appoint a Royal Commission on Industrial Relations. The purpose was to find out whether the labour unrest was the result of legitimate grievances or radical agitation.
According to the report of the royal commission, which was appointed by the Government of Canada on 4 April 1919, the chief causes of discontentment were: unemployment, the rising cost of living, long working hours, lack of collective bargaining rights, the housing shortage, restrictions on freedom of speech and the press, and unequal educational opportunities.
The Commissioners viewed the number of labour disputes which had occurred, particularly in Western Canada, as evidence that serious unrest existed. The Commissioners attributed it mainly to "the upheavals in Europe and the disturbed state of the public mind generally owing to the war." They were convinced that the majority of workers did not believe in extreme ideas and would welcome cooperation and industrial harmony.
Faced with industrial uncertainty, the Commissioners set out to recommend ways of improving relations which existed between employers and employees. Ironically, the Winnipeg General Strike occurred as the Commissioners worked toward finding a solution to labour problems. (See Report of the Commission appointed under Order-in-Council (P.C. 670) to Enquire into Industrial Relations in Canada together with a Minority Report, Ottawa, King's Printer, 1919).
Hearings of the commission were held in 28 towns and cities in Canada from 26 April to 13 June 1919.
Library and Archives Canada
Carl Riordon attended Upper Canada College from 1887 to 1890 and then the new Bishop Ridley College, St. Catherines, from 1890 to 1892. 1896 -Carl graduated from U. of Toronto and joined the business (the Riordon Paper Co.) 1898 - City Directory show Carl living with parents and sister Kathleen at "Woodlawn" on Geneve St. 1900 - Married Amy Louise Paterson, daughter of Rev. Charles W. Paterson of Port Hope, on 23 June. 1905 - became managing director. 1908 - moved to Montreal. 1909-1920 - acquired several businesses in Ontario and Quebec and business expanded. 1920 - the older mill in Merritton was closed in the fall. 1921 - a depression resulted in a decline in sales and a sell off of assets.
Image dimensions: 499 × 870 pixels
File size: 133 KB
Image dimensions: 418 × 1,247 pixels
File size: 223 KB
Image dimensions: 414 × 418 pixels
File size: 90 KB
Image dimensions: 476 × 896 pixels
File size: 133 KB
Image dimensions: 285 × 432 pixels
File size: 31 KB
Note: Carl and Amy Riordon; 28 June 1950 - Golden Wedding
Image dimensions: 265 × 432 pixels
File size: 29 KB
Image dimensions: 432 × 336 pixels
File size: 27 KB
Note: Amherst House November 1939: Edith, Ernie, Hal, Peter, Eric, Carl, Patsy, Spruce, Rod
Image dimensions: 500 × 150 pixels
File size: 17 KB
Image dimensions: 437 × 634 pixels
File size: 56 KB
Highlighted image: yes
Image dimensions: 499 × 870 pixels
File size: 133 KB
|Media object||Journal of Commerce April 26 1921|
Image dimensions: 960 × 1,267 pixels
File size: 639 KB
|Media object||Riordon mill in Hawkesbury|
Image dimensions: 900 × 560 pixels
File size: 142 KB
|Media object||Riordon mill in Hawkesbury|
Image dimensions: 900 × 651 pixels
File size: 97 KB
|Media object||The wrecking of Amherst House|
Image dimensions: 738 × 738 pixels
File size: 125 KB
Note: Saturday, October 4th, 1958
|Media object||Amherst then and now|
Image dimensions: 1,391 × 454 pixels
File size: 983 KB
Highlighted image: no
|Media object||Amherst 1920's|
Image dimensions: 1,200 × 830 pixels
File size: 559 KB
|Media object||Amherst 1927|
Image dimensions: 1,200 × 681 pixels
File size: 818 KB
|Media object||Amherst 1932|
Image dimensions: 1,200 × 697 pixels
File size: 510 KB
|Media object||The Riordon Pulp and Paper Company (RPPC) mill under constuction in Temiscamingue Qc. Circa 1920|
Image dimensions: 1,600 × 1,022 pixels
File size: 181 KB
|Media object||Former stable of the Riordon company in the MRC d'Antoine-Labelle|
Image dimensions: 889 × 667 pixels
File size: 170 KB
|Media object||Former stable of the Riordon company in the MRC d'Antoine-Labelle|
Image dimensions: 889 × 667 pixels
File size: 145 KB